Monday, August 26, 2013
When I took these photos I had finished cutting out all the sheep, the shepherd, and the main background (grass & clouds) pieces with areas cut out for said sheep & shepherd. The basic linework for the clouds were also sketched in.
Monday, August 19, 2013
Here's a slightly better overall photo (after I talked about it last week) of the transferring/flipping image process onto the bigger pieces of linoleum.
And here are some fun photos of the sheep (top layer) as they were getting cut out...
Monday, August 12, 2013
I'm stuck in the long process of sketching and analyzing, then re-sketching and re-analyzing (and repeat and repeat again) as I try to get everything just right. I was pretty sold on the main composition but I changed the number of sheep, and then those sheep kept giving me arranging trouble. And let's not forget that I'll have to reverse the image so that everything will finally print in the right orientation. Plus I'm using multiple pieces of linoleum of different sizes, so the image gets divvied up in chunks. Plus there's the layers of colors to keep in mind once I finally get around to printing.
Monday, August 5, 2013
I thought I'd better show some more in progress photos for that commission...
With all the things happening with moving to a different apartment, the best place to sketch everything out to scale turned out to be the hallway. I cut sheets of newsprint to the size that each of the prints of the triptych will be. It's been good to see everything actually to scale before committing to cutting it out because I keep seeing things that need to be repositioned.