Monday, July 15, 2013

Annabel Lee

So to take a break from the commission (so early in the game, shame on me), I joined a group of artists in Kenosha that are making an Edgar Allen Poe themed playing card deck. At first I couldn't get past thinking about ravens, tell-tale hearts, or the red death... but then I remembered Poe's poem "Annabel Lee" and found that I had an excuse to draw a lady and hair. (And Poe loved to write about young beautiful ladies that tended to die tragically.)

So here's Annabel Lee fading into the depths of the sea, framed with her sepulcher. Like a tombstone, the bottom has her name & a death date (actually the date the poem was published).

Here are photos from carving the block, to inking the block, and then the final print.








2 comments:

  1. Good choice! I must say I prefer his poems to his stories, and your Annabel Lee is lovely.

    ReplyDelete