I remembered to take photos... at least after it was all finished. I did this color reduction linocut demo in two days. Or more like two sessions that were about 1/3 of the class period.
On the first day (last Monday) I showed the students that I made a rough color sketch ahead of time to use as my guide. I tried to sketch a figure this time around for the redution demo, but I've been stuck on tree bark lines... so I threw an eyeball in it. Plus a vine, leaves, & flower for good measure.
Then I cut out anything that was supposed to stay white and printed the lightest color first.
Then I cut out anything that should stay that light color... until I ran out of time to print it. Which was really ok and expected.
Then for Day 2 (last Wednesday) I printed that second color.
Then I quickly cut out anything that should stay that second green color so that all that was left on the linoleum would print the final color. The students were quite impressed with how fast I can cut linoleum on these days. (Sorry about the glare on the wet ink left on the linoleum.)
Then I printed that final layer.
Thus they saw me do the whole process from start to finish during class. Ta da!