Monday, April 29, 2013

Color Reduction Demo

I remembered to take photos... at least after it was all finished. I did this color reduction linocut demo in two days. Or more like two sessions that were about 1/3 of the class period.



On the first day (last Monday) I showed the students that I made a rough color sketch ahead of time to use as my guide. I tried to sketch a figure this time around for the redution demo, but I've been stuck on tree bark lines... so I threw an eyeball in it. Plus a vine, leaves, & flower for good measure.



Then I cut out anything that was supposed to stay white and printed the lightest color first.



Then I cut out anything that should stay that light color... until I ran out of time to print it. Which was really ok and expected.



Then for Day 2 (last Wednesday) I printed that second color.



Then I quickly cut out anything that should stay that second green color so that all that was left on the linoleum would print the final color. The students were quite impressed with how fast I can cut linoleum on these days. (Sorry about the glare on the wet ink left on the linoleum.)



Then I printed that final layer.



Thus they saw me do the whole process from start to finish during class. Ta da!


Monday, April 22, 2013

Broken Litho Stone = Sad Day

I was going to post about the first half of my color reduction linocut demo, but then I forgot to take photos. Oops.

Instead I'll show & tell about what I walked in to find today in the print room.

This.



Broken litho stone = unhappy teacher.

No one fessed up to it. (Granted, the culprit might be one of the students who skipped today.) Yet I let my students know that this sort of carelessness is NOT OK. Costly damage to the print room's supplies like this is why I teach them how to do things the right way in the first place.

Sad start to my Monday... though really, besides this, the rest of my classes weren't bad today.


Monday, April 15, 2013

Speaking

This morning I'm going back to my undergrad school to talk about myself, which is going to feel strange.

I'm speaking to WLC's Senior Seminar class (for art major seniors) about my experiences of going to grad school & becoming a printmaking instructor. I got a powerpoint together & wrote down notes so that I keep things in a logical order with good ol' visual aids.

Yup, still feels strange to go back there to give a presentation about myself.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Collating the 4/3 Exchange

Remember that 4/3 Print Exchange I wrote about last time? To explain further, I organized this collaboration between printmaking professors and their students from ISU (Normal, IL), KCAD (Grand Rapids, MI), UWP (Kenosha, WI) and WLC (Milwaukee, WI). All the participants made an edition of 15 handmade prints and sent them in to me. Each school will keep a full set of all the prints, plus one set is being used for a traveling exhibition. Each participant will then get back 10 assorted prints from the other participants.

But somebody's got to do all of that shuffling around of prints... so on Saturday I lead volunteers - students and faculty (and supportive faculty spouses)  from WLC & UWP - in collating the 4/3 Exchange prints in UWP's print room.  It went surprisingly quickly & smoothly, thanks to all the help.




We separated prints by school to help keep things in order.






Some students screen printed the "4/3" logo I made on envelopes for the participants.






The most time-consuming part was shuffling all the prints around to ensure that each participant would get back a nice sampling of all the submitted prints from each school. 







So there was lots of counting and recounting by all.








So in the end, each participant got a listing of all involved in a nice screen printed packet of 10 prints from other participants.