Friday, November 12, 2010

Mezzotint

I started a mezzotint this week. I "cheated" by sandblasting the plate to get an overall dark tone. I'm ok with it being a bit inconsistent. Here's a photo of how it printed so far with just the overall dark base (the large white chunks are actually damaged bits of paper).



And here's what the plate looks like now. You can see how most of it is rather textural (which holds ink & prints black) and how parts are getting shiny smooth where I've burnished (or rubbed) smooth and will print lighter. The sharpie lines will wash off, and are just there as I plan out the plate. More updates to come!  


1 comment:

  1. I hope that Sharpie washes off that plate more easily than it washes out of human hair. (If I were one to use emoticons, there would be smiley face here)

    ReplyDelete