Sunday, August 22, 2010

Wax and Polyurethane

I feel odd not posting with new prints, but that doesn't mean I'm not busy working on them! I've got new blocks and new litho ideas in the works. This last month I've been trying to focus on perfecting my concept and writing my new artist statement, especially with my "first year review" coming up in a few weeks. (Commence freaking out!)

I WILL show you some photos about three prints that passed the first jurying round for a show at Great Michigan Art Exhibition in the Alden B. Dow Museum of Science & Art at the Midland Center for the Arts. This weekend I'll be dropping them off for the second round of jurying, so I need to get them exhibition-ready. Yesterday & today was spent coating each side of the print with a wax medium. It's an interesting medium to work with, but I like the nearly invisible results it gets on the prints while still providing a nice thin protective barrier.

Here's a shot of those three prints drying from getting coated with wax in the studio.



Here's a look at my other print-coating project. I mentioned earlier that I wanted to try coating my paper prints with polyurethane to get a unique transparent & plastic look. I discovered what happens when using regular polyurethane, and I don't recommend it because it bleeds the ink everywhere and doesn't really work. The water-based polyurethane did the trick though.

This is actually the back of the print (but I really like it too)...







... and this is the front of the print. Sorry about the poor photo, but it was still wet & I was impatient to get this up on the blog.


1 comment:

  1. Judging by the title, I thought this post was about flooring. Boy, was I wrong.

    ReplyDelete