Friday, June 4, 2010

First Attempts at Lithography


This summer I've been using my studio credits in part to finally learn stone lithography! Soon I will complete my full repertoire of printmaking methods.

Only one of my first 2 stones survived the etching process. The casualty was a tusche wash that was much too light that nothing remained after etching. The survivor was an experiment with a tusche crayon that went overboard and turned into a subtractive scraping experiment. I think it over-etched or over-inked, so enough of my marks aren't visible. We'll see what happens when I print it. And some marks went astray, so I'll have to test out a cancellation marker.



This next stone was done mostly with some litho crayons I bought yesterday. It has some heavy tusche washes for the deep blacks. I'm crossing my fingers that it etches well. I'm not completely happy with the result, but I'm hoping practice makes perfect. Or I should say, in the lithography process where so many things can go wrong, practice makes less mistakes!



I think I need to work on the transfer or sketching processes that won't show later... I was so nervous drawing freehand and not really being able to erase!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I typed in a question on Google about re-applying tusche and there you were, at the top of the search! Do you know if you can re-apply over dry tusche? I'm pretty sure mine is way too light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it is too light and you haven't etched it yet, you can reapply more tusche. It's easier to reapply over a whole section... because if you're just spot applying more tusche you might get some strange or chunky reticulation that might not be very consistent. (If you have too much tusche and it's dry then there's nothing more you can do besides burn the dailights out of it while etching.)

    ReplyDelete